The Department of English is
one of the seven departments with which the University of Rajshahi started it
academic activities in 1953. The department started its first academic session
in 1954 with Syed Ali
Ashraf as its founding Head. Since then the Department has progressed with
dedicated and pioneering services from eminent educationists like Professor Zillur Rahman Siddiqui, Professor Mohammad Ali, Professor Amanullah Ahmed,
Quazi Joan Hossain, Professor Sadruddin Ahmed and Professor Ali Anwar.
The department has now a faculty strength of nineteen teachers and a student
body of about five
hundred regular students. To retain its excellence in academic matters the
department maintains a rich collection of books on English language and
literature. It also occasionally arranges seminars and encourages the students
to take part in co-curricular activities like debates. Praxis, an occasional
publication of the department, documents the department's orientation to
research and creativity.
The Department has an officially recognized students' body, the English
Association. Under direct patronization of the department this body organizes
and runs various co-curricular and extra-curricular activities aimed at helping
students excel in diverse fields.
The Department at a glance
Degrees awarded by the Department: B. A. (Honours), M. A., M.
Phil., Ph. D.
Present Location: Ground Floor, Shahidullah Arts Building, RU
Contact Address: Department of English, Rajshahi University,
Telephone: +88 0721 750041 Ext. 4146; +88 0721 750685
Fax: +88 0721 750064